I’m trying to study for my Business course and I need some help to understand this question.
- Should Apple be held responsible for working conditions in foreign factories that it does not own, but where subcontractors make product for Apple?
- What labor standards regarding safety, working conditions, overtime, and the like, should Apple hold foreign factories to: those prevailing in the host country, or those prevailing in the United States?
- Why workers at the Hongfujin factory earned the minimum wage for the host nation and not forced to work overtime, is it correct to criticize Apple for the low pay rates (when compared to U.S. minimum wage) of the workers producing their iPhones in China?
- Could Apple have handled the negative publicity over sweatshops better? What might it have done differently, not just from a public relations perspective, but also from a policy perspective?
- Do you think that Apple needs to make any changes to its current policy? If so, what? Should Apple make changes even if they hinder the ability of the company to compete in the marketplace?
- If sweatshops are a global problem, what might be a global solution of this problem?
3 – 4 pages
6 References Minimum