ENG230 short story.
I’m studying for my Literature class and need an explanation.
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook (Foster): Chapter 19
- Textbook (Charters):
- William Faulkner – “A Rose for Emily”
- Lecture 1, 2, 3
- Minimum of 3 outside resources (Resources may include .edu or .org website and/or peer-reviewed journal articles.)
Please select one of the two essay topics below. Please use cited examples and quotes from the stories. If you are applying concepts from Foster, please be sure to cite examples and quotes from his text as well.
- Emily is her house. We are not merely reading a story where a character is impacted by her setting; we are reading a story where character and setting are one. Consider the way in which we get to know Emily and the way in which we get to know the home in which she lived.
- Using examples from “A Rose for Emily,” explain how an exploration of Emily’s setting is in fact an exploration of character.
- Use outside sources to back up any claims you make about how people are represented by (or are represented of) their environments. Suggestions for such sources include articles by designers, psychological theories, etc.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- 3-4 pages (approx. 300 words per page), not including the reference page
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Reference page (minimum of 3 outside resources)