ENGL110 Week 5.
I’m working on a Communications exercise and need support.
TOPIC: How cybersecurity effects our privacy? Is the government overstepping its boundaries, or are we just careless and leaving ourselves vulnerable to anyone
Communication is used to inform, to persuade and to analyze. In this assignment, you will persuade the reader of your point of view by supporting a thesis with objective facts and credible evidence.
In the week 2 forum, you selected your topic for this paper. You will take a stance on this issue and support your stance with credible evidence in your body paragraphs.
For this assignment, you have traditional and creative options. Choose what will challenge your writing and what would be appropriate for your topic and field:
- Traditional 5 paragraph essay with 1 paragraph introduction, 3 body paragraphs, and 1 paragraph conclusion.
- Op-ed newspaper article.
- Blog post.
- Letter/proposal to stakeholders.
- Press release.
- Letter to the editor.
- Presidential address.
- Election speech (written only).
- Application for a position related to the topic.
- Defense attorney’s opening statement.
- Case brief.
- Advocacy statement.
- Call to action paper.
In order to persuade the audience to accept the position you are advocating in this paper, you will use different kinds of appeals:
- ethos (which involves the credibility of the speaker, writer, or authority being cited);
- logos (which involves facts, statistics, and logic); and
- pathos (which involves emotions).
A good persuasive argument uses credible sources, objective evidence, and emotional “hooks” to make use of logos, ethos, and pathos respectively.
Be sure your thesis statement is very clear. It should be a single complete sentence, including both a subject and a predicate, that combine to make claim. Example: “The USA should be more competitive in establishing a presence on Mars.”
Your introduction paragraph should include a “hook” to grab the reader’s attention. The thesis statement is typically seen in the first paragraph. Your body paragraphs will support the thesis. You should use credible sources and cite them according to the style of your discipline. Your conclusion should reiterate the strongest points from your paper and give the audience something to consider, moving forward.
- PURPOSE: To persuade
- AUDIENCE: The applicable audience for the type of document you’ve chosen to write.
- LENGTH: 500 – 750 words (Times New Roman font)
- SOURCES: A minimum of 3 with at least 1 from the library, and at least 1 from a professional journal or organization
- FORMAT: The citation style APA format
- DUE: SUNDAY 4 pm EST of Week 5
- SUBMIT: In ASSIGNMENTS submit your essay by uploading your Word file
Use only third person (he/she/they) for a more professional tone. Avoid first person (I, my, us, we) and second person (you and your) in your essay.