I’m stuck on a Health & Medical question and need an explanation.
The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate knowledge of pharmacology related to Parkinson’s Disease including normal drug effects, adverse effects, and impact upon the rehabilitation process.
Read the case study below and answer the questions that follow. Use the following writing guidelines (3 points) to complete your responses.
- Use complete sentences.
- Write answers in your own words (no quotes or copy/paste from other sources)
- Proofread for correct spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar.
- Provide references where appropriate.
Mrs. T. is a 68-year-old woman who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease 2 years ago. She recently was referred to PT and OT for balance and coordination exercises due to a recent decline in function. Mrs. T’s past medical history includes hypertension, and acid reflux, and seasonal allergies. Current medications include Sinemet 50 mg(carbidopa)/200 mg (levodopa) bid; Lisinopril 20 mg daily; Prilosec as needed; promethazine as needed for allergies.
You notice that on some days, Mrs. T. does great in therapy and on other days, she has great difficulty participating. Mrs. T indicates she has noticed the same thing at home—some days she gets around quite well and other days she has difficulty. Mr. T mentioned this to you as well.
- Explain 2 possible medication-related causes of Mrs. T’s inconsistent therapy performance.(4 pts)
- Identify any medication(s) Mrs. T is taking for the Parkinson’s disease. Detail the mechanism(s) of action, and describe any potential drug interactions that could be occurring. (5 pts)
- Identify 2 additional different drugs, by name (generic and brand) and classification, that are used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. Explain how these medications work (4 pts)
- Choose one of the causes you identified in Question 1 and discuss possible alternatives to alleviate the problem. (2 pts)
- Explain how you might respond to this situation if you were Mrs. T’s therapist. (2 pts).
Save your file as a Word document (.docx).
Include the term Parkinsons and your Last Name when saving your file. Example: Parkinsons_Smith.docx
Upload your completed document using the Browse button, and then click the Submit button.