The Odyssey. 7 Quotes — who said it and significance. Approx. 2 pages total.
I’m studying for my Literature class and need an explanation.
Identify the following quotations and submit in a Word document for the assignment for The Odyssey.
Identify the following quotations: Identify the speaker(s), audience, as well as its significance.
- Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story about a complicated man/ Muse, tell me how he wandered and was lost…and how he worked to save his life and bring his men back home.
- This is absurd, / that mortals blame the gods! They say we cause / their suffering, but they themselves increase it / by folly.
- Poets are not to blame for how things are: / Zeus is; he gives to each as is his will./ Do not blame Phemius…
- Telemachus, you will be brave and thoughtful / if your own father’s forcefulness runs through you /…Your journey will succeed if you are his
- So may the gods grant all your heart’s desires, / a home and husband, somebody like-minded. / For nothing could be better than when two / live in one house, their minds in harmony, husband and wife. Their enemies are jealous, / their friends delighted, and they have great honor.
- Odysseus, you must not comfort me / for death. I would prefer to be a workman, / hired by a poor man on a peasant farm, / than rule as king of all the dead…
- Now, Eurycleia, make the bed for him / outside the room he built himself…She spoke this to test him…Woman! Your words have cut my heart! Whom moved my bed?