Week Two modules! there are 4 different assigment modules and one separte essay! Each module must be on a different document.
I don’t know how to handle this English question and need guidance.
2.1 The Cask of Amontillado
Read “The Cask of Amontillado” by Edgar Allen Poe. Then, write a discussion post in which you answer the following questions:
1. Who or what is “Amontillado”?
2. Who is the narrator of the story?
3. What other stories, movies, or video games does this story remind you of?
4. At what point did you realize what was going to happen to Fortunato?
5. Was there anything about the story that confused you? If so, what were some of those things?
2.2 The Lottery
Read “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson. Then, write a discussion post in which you answer the following:
1. Where does the story take place?
2. Why do you think the residents of the village practice this ritual (use evidence from the story)?
3. What other movies, stories, or video games does this story remind you of?
4. How would this story be different if it took place on a gray, rainy day?
5. At what point did you realize what the “prize” for the Lottery was?
2.3 A Good Man is Hard to Find
Read “A Good Man is Hard to Find” by Flannery O’Connor. Then, write a discussion post in which you answer the following questions:
1. Who would you say is the main character of the story?
2. How do names work in the story? Is there any kind of pattern you can find?
3. Where does the story take place?
4. What is the effect of having most of the characters killed “off-screen”?
5. Do you believe anything the Misfit says?
2.4 Karate Kid Character Analysis
Rewatch this video from the Close Reading presentation. Then, write a discussion post in which you answer the following questions:
1. What character type would the video maker classify Daniel as?
2. What character type would the video maker classify Johnny as?
3. Is Daniel still the protagonist, according to the video maker?
4. What evidence does the video maker use for classifying Daniel the way he does?
5. Would you consider the video maker’s argument well-supported?
Your first essay will be a character analysis. You can either answer one of the prompts below, or come up with your own topic (as long as you clear it with me). Use evidence from the text to support whatever your main thesis is (being sure to cite in MLA). Feel free to use any of the character definitions we’ve covered in the PowerPoints in class without citing (round, flat, static, dynamic, etc.). Your essay should be 2-3 pages typed, double-spaced, Times New Roman 12 font, in MLA format.
- Who is the protagonist in “The Lottery”? What kind of protagonist are they, and how do we know this?
- What type of character is Montresor in “The Cask of Amontillado”? How does his role as narrator affect how we view him?
- Examine the character of the Misfit in “A Good Man is Hard to Find.” Is he a villain, an antihero, or something else?
- Examine one of the characters other than Tessie Hutchinson in “The Lottery.” What type of character are they, and what purpose do they serve in the narrative?
- Examine one of the characters other than the Misfit in “A Good Man is Hard to Find.” What type of character are they, and what purpose do they serve in the narrative?
*******The following presentation will walk you through how to write a character analysis**